Thursday, December 7, 2023

The low budget action sports videos I produced, directed, and/or edited- from 1987-2001


This is one of the craziest pieces of video I shot and edited.  It's from the 2-Hip King of Vert at Mission Trails, outside of San Diego, in 1991, featuring Death Jump.  Death Jump was about the craziest jump anywhere at the time.  Personally, I think Death Jump was the beginning of the mega ramp era in BMX, it had the basic shape of a mega ramp, and was HUGE fo rthat time.  This segment features Chris Moeller, Dave Clymer, Keith Treanor, Mike "Crazy Red" Carlson, Mat Hoffman, Dennis McCoy, Bill Nitschke, and Vic Murphy.  This footage was in S&M Bikes' Feel my Leg Muscles... I'm a Racer in 1991.  It also led to Mat Hoffman getting a gig with the Stuntmaster's TV show a year or so later, when I shared about 15 minutes of this raw footage with motorcycle jumper Johnny Airtime, who worked at the same production company I did.  

In the spring of 1987, Bob Morales, founder and owner of the American Freestyle Association (AFA), where I worked, walked into the back room of the little AFA office, and asked, "Steve, you want to make a TV commercial to show on MTV for the Austin contest?"  Since I had absolutely no idea how to make a TV commercial, and I knew Bob wouldn't take "No" for an answer, I said, "Sure."  That's how my video production career began.  Here are the low budget videos I produced, directed, edited, and/or shot footage for, between 1987 and 2001.  

1987

Oregon Pro Flatland- American Freestyle Association (AFA)- produced and directed
Oregon Pro Ramps- AFA- produced and directed
Texas Pro Flatland- AFA- produced and directed
Texas Pro Ramps- AFA- produced and directed
Ohio Pro Flatland-AFA- produced and directed
Ohio Pro Ramps-AFA- produced and directed

1989

2-Hip: The '88 Adventure, aka 2-Hip BHIP- 2-Hip/Ron Wilkerson- directed and edited
Part 1, Part 2 (Santee Meet the Street contest), Part 3 , Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8

1990 

Tuff Skts promo- Producer/director/editor/cameraman- Originally a 7 minute promo for the Christian Hosoi/Vision skateboard company, Tuff Skts.  The company lasted less than a year.  This is the only surviving version of this promo is this re-edited clip from Sk8-TV in 1990, with lame music (I used Muddy Waters and Bad Brains)
Ride Like a Man- 2-Hip- directed and edited by Eddie Roman- I was cameraman for most of the vert contest footage in the last half of the video
Mat Hoffman's first 900 at 14:43 (From Ride Like a Man)- This is all my footage, after the intro part with Eddie's girlfriend.  Also has Joe Johnson's first double tailwhip air in a contest.
Skater's Quarterly Video Magazine #2- NSI Video- editor/cameraman for original footage/intros
The Ultimate Weekend- Producer/editor/cameraman- My first completely self-produced BMX video 
Skater's Quarterly Video Magazine #3- NSI Video- editor/cameraman
Snowboarder's Quarterly Video Magazine #1- NSI Video- editor/cameraman

1991

Feel My Leg Muscles... I'm a Racer- (full 1 hour, weird ass version)- S&M Bikes- camerman/editor

1992 

H.B. Video Zine #1- camerman/editor- Cheap "video magazine" of chunks of raw footage I shot at contests and of SoCal locals riding
H.B. Video Zine #2- cameraman/editor

1993

44 Something- S&M Bikes- director/editor/cameraman

2001

Animals- My second self-produced BMX video- producer/director/editor/cameraman- 100% my footage.

This list doesn't include the videos that I kind of worked on, mostly as a production assistant, while working at Unreel Productions/Vision Skateboards/Vision Street Wear in 1987-1990, or the 300 or so TV episodes I worked on as a crew guy from 1989-1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The low budget action sports videos I produced, directed, and/or edited- from 1987-2001

This is one of the craziest pieces of video I shot and edited.  It's from the 2-Hip King of Vert at Mission Trails, outside of San Diego...